20 September 2024

Online Inventors' Club: Patents and Alternatives to Patenting


Yesterday, I launched the NIPC Inventors' Club Online Inventors' Academy with an introduction to patent law and patenting for independent inventors. The slides appear above.  Those who missed the talk can download the slides here or from Slideshare.  There will also be a link to the presentation from the NIPC Inventors Club group page on Linkedin.

Although not everybody who had registered joined the call, those who did enjoyed a very lively discussion.  The session, which was due to last an hour, finished at 19:58 almost two hours after it began.  It was particularly gratifying to welcome one of the regulars at the Sheffield Inventos' Club which I chaired for many years.  

The objective of the exercise is to reproduce the mutual support for independent inventors that used to subsist at inventors clubs that met in Central Libraries, universities and other venues around the country until a few years ago.  Some of those clubs disbanded after several of the libraries joined the British Library's Business and IP Centre's national network.  Others ceased to meet during the COVID-19 pandemic.  

The next talk will be on the resources that are available to independent inventors.   It will take place on 17 Oct 2024 between 18:00 and 19:00.  As I said in The Online Inventors' Academy on 29 Aug 2024:
"The next talk will be on the services that are available to inventors. I will start with the British Library and its national network of Business and IP Centres. I will mention patent clinics and search services at the Centres and other PatLib libraries. I will talk about the help that is available from local authorities in England, Business Wales in Wales and its counterparts in Scotland and Northern Ireland. Lastly, I will consider the online resources that are available for inventors from the IPO, EPO, WIPO, British Library, UKRI and other agencies."

I shall post the registration invitation later today and look forward to welcoming everybody interested to that event.

Finally, I was asked a couple of questions about IP insurance yesterday.   I have written a lot about the topic as can be seen from the bibliography at the end of my article  IPO Guidance: Intellectual Property Insurance which I, posted on 25 Feb 2020.  The most up-to-date guidance is CIPA's and the Intellectual Property Office's.

Anyone wishing to discuss this article can call me on 020 7404 5252 during UK office hours or send me a message through my contact form at any time.

No comments: