29 August 2024

The Online Inventors' Academy



Independent inventors (that is to say, inventors who are not employed in research and development in a company or university) have contributed much to the economies of many countries including our own. Unlike some other countries, we do not do much to encourage them.  The United States Patent and Trade Mark Office lauds American inventors in a National Inventors Hall of Fame. The Korea Invention Promotion Association has a slogan "One Person with One Invention." Our government did fund an Inventor Prize in August 2017 but terminated that initiative the following year.

British inventors might do better if they were better informed of the steps to be taken between having a bright idea and earning money from it.  Until the pandemic, some of that information was provided by inventors' clubs.  The Wessex Round Table of Inventors has maintained a page of links with inventors' clubs for many years.  I tried all those links yesterday and found many of them were broken.  There may well have been some new clubs.   I recently wrote about the launch of an inventors club at the British Library but I have not heard of any more.  

I have long campaigned for an inventors' academy along the lines of the USPTO's Annual Independent Inventors' Conference at its head office in Alexandria.  Many have agreed that such a conference would be a good idea and nobody has rubbished it but everyone has always had more immediate priorities.  It seems to me that nothing will happen unless I make a start.  To that end, I am offering a course of online lectures between 18:00 and 19:00 on the third Thursday of every month between  19 Sept 2024 and 17 July 2025.  As I chaired the Leeds, Liverpool and Sheffield Inventors Clubs for many years I think I have a pretty good idea of what independent inventors need to know and just as valuable what they don't need.

The first talk on 19 Sept will be on the legal protection of new technology,   I will, of course, discuss patents and how to apply for them and how to apply for them but I will also discuss alternatives.  Prosecution and enforcement costs, renewal fees and other expenses will be mentioned as well as the risks of revocation.  Steps to mitigate the risks and expenses such as before-the-event insurance will be addressed.  I shall also deal with inventions that cannot be protected by patents.  Finally, I will talk about patent attorneys, where to find them and how to select and instruct them.

The next talk will be on the services that are available to inventors.  I will start with the British Library and its national network of Business and IP Centres.  I will mention patent clinics and search services at the Centres and other PatLib libraries.   I will talk about the help that is available from local authorities in England, Business Wales in Wales and its counterparts in Scotland and Northern Ireland.  Lastly, I will consider the online resources that are available for inventors from the IPO, EPO, WIPO, British Library, UKRI and other agencies.

Other talks will focus on manufacturing, outsourcing manufacturing and licensing.  I will also discuss enforcement in this country and overseas.   Anybody who attends the full programme will receive a transcript which may assist them in fundraising or employment,

The Online Academy will be just one of many benefits of the NIPC Inventors Club;  Others will be the Initial Advice and Signposting service that can be offered online or in Yorkshire, North Wales or London. There will also be a vast library of articles and precedents (template forms) which can be accessed through this publication.

Anyone wishing to discuss this article may call me on 020 7404 5252 or send me a message through my contact form.   Anyone wishing to register for the first talk on 19 Sept 2024 should click here.

No comments: